8.12.2013

Playing Catch Up

Hello fans and friends~

First, I have to apologize for my absence over the last few weeks.  I think it's been about a month.  Yikes! I caught a monster of a cold from Comic-Con (a.k.a. "Con Crud" as my husband so affectionately put it).  That, combined with
a couple of other heath issues that decided to come to a head at the same time, pretty much drained all of my energy and creativity for a while. Not to worry, though, my lovely readers - the cold is gone, things are on the mend, and I feel inspired again.

Here's how the Comic-Con Tiger ended after this year's con:
Comic-Con 2013
Work-In-Progress
© Kari Raley
I was able to spend a total of 6 more hours on it across four days with progress on the nose/mouth/upper lip, although the tongue and lower jaw are giving me problems.  In the second two shots, you can see the right side starting to fill in from the top down. Maybe next year I'll get to finish it. Then I'll be able to tear that bad boy out of there and frame it. Exciting!

On another front, if you follow me on Twitter (@KariRaleyArt), you know that I was working on a few submissions for the Vacancy zine over at Society6.com.  I was able to submit two photographs I took of the annular solar eclipse in May 2012 as well as a new oil pastel painting before the 'Crud caught me.
"The Black Hole Within"
9" x 12" oil pastel on paper
© Kari Raley
- - - - - -
My current project is a commissioned portrait for a dear high school friend of mine. I'm very excited to be able to do this for her.  There won't be any progress photos for public view, but once it's finished and in her happy hands, I'll be able to show it.

A couple of final thoughts . . .
Today I just found a new Call For Artists that sounds right up my alley -- the #TwitterArtExhibit.  The deadline is still several months away, leaving me plenty of time to create and choose something for my submission.  An added bonus is that it looks like this happens annually.
Every few days I like to browse the web for art and artists I haven't seen yet.  A good place to do this sometimes is Society6.  While browsing for inspiration this morning, I found three more artists to follow: 
Mat Miller, Kirsten Neil, and Ken Powers.  Love all of their work.

Happy Monday!
-Kari