9.20.2013

Photography: Say Hello to My Little Friend

While taking the trash out this afternoon, I saw this spider on the stucco wall outside near the trash bin.  The body itself is about an inch or more long from the eyes to the tip of its abdomen.

Rather than shriek as I normally would at seeing such a large spider unexpectedly, I thought, "Wow! I haven't seen one of those before. It's actually pretty cool looking." We typically only see daddy-long-legs, wolf spiders, and black widows around here (the latter two of which I usually kill right away).  So this was quite an interesting find.

Peering closer at it (but not too close - who knows if this thing will jump?!?), I decided I should take a picture.  So, I darted back into the house and grabbed my camera.
Green Lynx Spider
 (Peucetia viridans)

© Kari Raley


How to identify a lynx spider

She was very patient with me, sitting there staring idly, while I stuck my super-macro camera an inch from her face to take a few photographs.

As it turns out, these spiders are a real gem to have in your garden.  Apparently, they leap into the air to catch insects, as well as spit venom.  O' that one day I should be lucky enough to see this "little" lady in action! What a treat that would be . . .

-Kari